Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 67: Pavlova and Other People


It was the end-of-year shindig.
I ate some Pavlova.
I was trying to just eat the berry topping, granted, with a dollop of cream and ended up having some of the crunchy, sugary, egg-whitey merenguey-ness too. So sweet! Eek! I realized that not only was it waaaay over the top with sugar, but that if I ever eat that dessert again--it is quite a thing of wonder to behold--I should only ever have a bit of crunch with my berries. Because the berries are really the delicious part.

This party followed the staff luncheon: lots of homemade salads and sides, sufficient vegetables and a BBQ provided by my employer. Of course, this is Germany, so while I had hopes of grilled chicken or turkey or something fowl, the real choices were: pork, pork or pork. Oh yes, when you ask there is some variety: pig stomach, steak (made of pig), or bratwurst (also from our dear friend, pig), so at least it's not all the same, right? Oh, German cuisine.

I needed my 90 grams of protein, so I headed across the street for a bagel chicken sandwich. I guess pre-PCP I ate these things regularly and found them quite tasty, without giving much thought to the additional flavorings included. But now I find the mustard/cream cheese/layer of mystery spices not only excessive, but kind of gross, too.

Also for my birthday, my kind co-workers supplied cakes, jello shots and granola bars. I said 'thanks.' I can't really ask people to find the joy in raw bell peppers, if they're not already so inclined.

It is a strange thing, the connection between sweets and pleasure; chocolate and indulgence.
As I continue to be more visibly fit, I find that my appearance seems to make other people feel uncomfortable. Though I'm not trying to 'flaunt' my new physique, just having lost weight and gained muscle seems to make those around me nest their compliments with self-directed critique. I didn't expect that by getting in better shape I would be making people feel inadequate, rather than inspired.

Much more eloquent thoughts on this topic from Pingu:
http://thekungfubody-emily.blogspot.com/2010/06/do-you-hear-that.html

The other weird thing about people commenting on my weight loss and fit physique is the thought: "I must have been huge before! Why didn't anyone tell me?"
chunky hedgehog and healthy hedgehog

New pics going up now!




3 comments:

  1. Just keep being your best self and people will come around. After 6 months of being in shape no one will remember you ever weren't in shape, and things will get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya, the more out of shape people are, the more uncomfortable it is talking about PCP around them....

    Chunky hedgehog looks like he is about to explode!!!

    ReplyDelete