Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 55 and counting!

Time to take after Ren, Todd and other food mavens and post my food pics!

Life has gotten considerably better since the farm deliveries to my house began. The weekly bins include milk, hearty bread and mystery produce! Each week there's something different. It helps with the variety thing Patrick is always pushing us to have in our diet. However, there is always some troublesome item that I have to figure out how to cook. This week's challenge was not-sweetened rhubarb. Here were my results:
Garden ends casserole!
fennel, kohlrabi, leeks, rhubarb and some chicken hiding under it all
spiced with tumeric, marjoram, balsamic vinegar and some chicken broth

I decided rhubarb was a vegetable, what with its stemmy-ness and its celery look-alike qualities and baked some for my evening veggies and for tomorrow's lunch.

Baked rhubarb with yogurt, cinnamon and light touch of maple syrup

The yogurt w/rhubarb was sour, but tasty. I'll report back on the casserole after tomorrow's lunch!

4 comments:

  1. Well it certainly looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mystery produce, excellent idea, keeps you on your toes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I just joined a CSA, and it's made me aware of the existence of at least 2 new veggies (garlic scapes and sorrel)--as well as how to cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mystery farm-fresh food is awesome! Remember: you can steam ANYTHING.
    And also remember that pretty much any actual, real FOOD can be eaten raw (re. Mikhael) anyway, so even under-steamed you are good.

    ReplyDelete