Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 40: If you believe in things that you don't understand...

like I am believing in this project.
Even on days when I just want to nap on the couch and enjoy my holiday (there are an unbelievable amount of Christianity-inspired days off in Germany), and I've got to talk myself into working out... for hours... begrudgingly... grumpily... with lots of reasons why I don't have to... that I've creatively improvised...

but then in comes Stevie Wonder.
and an awesome film called "Inside I'm Dancing" about some paralyzed guys in England who want to live independently.
and a beautiful sunset to end the first day it's been 80 degrees in 2010.

and then I drag my sorry ass off the couch.
and try to take stock of what I've actually done in 40 days.

-lost weight
-bought smaller pants
-uncovered muscles in my arms, legs, shoulders, stomach, chest
-slept better
-eaten smarter
-not missed chocolate every day
-enjoyed veggies more than I ever thought I would
-gotten up to the 4th flight of stairs without feeling winded (not yet my goal of all the way to my 5th floor door, but soon!)
-rediscovered the amazing good taste of naturally sweet things (I love you, Maple Syrup!)
-taken more naps
-generally felt more energetic on a daily basis
-wrangled with my negative impulses that make me want to eat fried foods, drink beer daily and be a couch lump and stay feeling sad about the things that haven't gone right or been easy or will be hard in life

Thank you, Stevie.

I think I need to continue being a little superstitious about what will happen if I don't follow through. 50 more days. I can do this. I need to do this. I will do this.

6 comments:

  1. We'll do it together! You're looking incredible, and doesn't it feel great to have to buy smaller pants? :) Go Team Running Rats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing it. You CAN do it. One day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would we do without music to inspire us? Music is the sound of life!

    You're doing great! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the only way through. Put on some tunes and don't think to much. Quitting isn't an option!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, was thinking about shaving my head ala Mikhael, but now I think I've got to bust it like the drummer in the video. That is a sick fro...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there should be a workout based on the kid freaking out at the top of the stairs. That kid rocks.

    ReplyDelete