Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 25: Indulgence!

I lingered over the question all morning: beer or cake?
Since Patrick advised against the ill effects of having a bubble-filled beer after many weeks without, I went with the cake.
Could I wait until some day later this week? Of course not!




Besides, going out for coffee and cake is an excellent thing to do in Germany on Sundays... when everything besides cafes are shut and people walk down the main street window-shopping or play with their kids in the park. After many months, I'm finally seeing the charm in the you-must-relax-Sunday mentality.

The cake I chose was from a delightful coffee shop that always has homemade desserts. I was craving chocolate, but this being Germany, chocolate is inevitably linked to hazelnuts when cake is involved, which I am allergic to. Anyway, I went with the apricot cheesecake.


It looked delicious. It was fluffy and smelled great.
I'd heard all the hype about tasty pre-PCP treats not tasting all that great after a few weeks of no-salt, no-sugar, only good, healthy foods, but I didn't believe it.
I was sure that I would find the cake just as delicious as always and that I would not be convinced of the necessity to cut the extra junk out of my diet.
But...
at the first bite, the flavor was so strong.



The second bite was so sweet... too sweet.
The whole thing just tasted wrong.
I was assured by my taste-tester that it was, indeed, a delicious cheesecake... but not to me!
I'll admit the crust was good, but the cheesy part was far too heavy and just felt like a blobby sugar/dairy lump in my stomach.
I'm a little sad for the lost love of good cake.
Perhaps this will help.




2 comments:

  1. Interesting! Your palate is getting back to normal levels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap that Little Britain sketch is hi-larious.

    ReplyDelete