Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 83: The Problem with Going 'Public'

I've been bothered today by some comments a random member of our online society left on my flick'r page. Though they were complimentary, they objectified me, specifically parts of my body that I feel are my hard-earned muscle-y bits, that I didn't especially want people other than those supportive PCP-ers and friends to comment upon. I visited this commenter's page, to see if he was someone I should know from the PCP world at large, and found many other pictures of snippets of womens' bodies. Which creeped me out.

I know this whole project is public for a reason. I am more accountable for my workouts, for the hours of sweating grumpiness that I've gone through so that I could get myself into this shape. Without posting pics each week, I probably would have had a little less push or taken it easier on myself in the midst of a tough set of exercises.

I guess what is bothering me is the fact that this online 'cat call' has the ability to upset me, to make me feel like I've shown too much of myself and to be even more self-conscious about having my pics online. When I stand tall and pose for my weekly update shot, I'm feeling proud of my accomplishments, my hard work and trying to make my muscles look their best. Getting a response from some random loser shouldn't take that pride, courage and confidence away from me.

I blocked that person from commenting on my page in the future and deleted his comments, but I wish there was some more acute form of punishment to let him know that he's an asshole and moreover, that my body, or any of ours for that matter, are ultimately private. These blogs and self-portraits are a way to chronicle our progress for ourselves, not for the prying eyes of online oglers.

4 comments:

  1. Good, thoughtful post. You know, I was thinking about the same issue this weekend after a comment about how racy it was that I posted a pic in my bathing suit. I'd just considered it full disclosure, nothing else.

    Women posting pictures like these face a completely different series of issues than men, unfortunately. I think you did the right thing by blocking him, and wish there was a way to drop-kick his balls as punishment. I'll hold him down for you. ;-) Focus on the positive and be proud of what you've accomplished. He'll get his one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that. One weirdo can mess everything up. It's that crucial balance between getting the motivation from the idea that "anyone" can see it and the concern that hey, "anyone can see this!"

    Move past it, we're all proud of your body too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you said, it was complimentary, so I would take it as just that, a compliment (albeit creepy). Also you should feel better knowing that he has to hide behind the blog, otherwise you would kick his ass w/ your new PCP body. AND we all have your back! I just hope I don't get on Jenny's black list....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the problem is that 'complimentary' comments about the female body don't really come off that way. Complimenting Mikhael on his abs is something completely different than commenting on my butt or breasts, because it is construed in a sexual way.

    I think society needs to shape up on how we talk about each others' bodies. Of course role models for young girls looking like Britney Spears, Hannah Montana, or anyone from High School Musical, which help to enforce the idea that the sexualized female body is normal, don't really help with this issue. More Venus Williams! Less Lindsay Lohan!

    ReplyDelete