Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 81: Food Galore and Minor (?) Knee Hijinks


First the food.
I've had some extra time on my hands-- I love you summer vacation!-- and so I've had a little more time to devote to extra good eating, PCP-style, of course.

Breakfast today: shredded chicken on a bed of lettuce with a 1.5 fried egg with scallions, sun-dried tomatoes and white radishes. Carbs were eaten while preparing the rest!


















More Muesli!

Posing with berries and a look of post-workout bliss

Post-workout snack with extra fresh yogurt mixed in strawberries, cherries and johannisberries on top.
Delicious!

Now for the not-so-good.
My knee has been hurting. Both my knees make horrible cracking/popping noises normally, but they don't usually hurt. Friday I walked a lot and the knees felt twisty and not good. I took it easy yesterday: one set of jumps followed by biking around town and a little walking. I intended to go swimming, but didn't make it there.

Apparently there is a fabulous new city pool just a short walk from my house. But it involves overcoming one of my fears/dislikes: negotiating new activities in German. This is also problematic for Patrick's new homework: checking out a gym. This task would be heinous enough, just jumping rope in public is strange enough, let alone working out in close quarters, in our own independent bubble, but right next to other sweaty persons... but add to that the fact that I am worried I will not be understood when I want to 'try-out' a gym for a day as 'trial membership' that involves some sort of per month commitment that I neither want nor can afford at the moment. Ugh. I guess I'll have to make a cheat sheet of possible words in German that I may hear and make sure I don't sign anything more than 1 page in length.

Back to the knees. I jumped without too much difficulty today, though I did have to stretch things out between sets to keep going. The heavy leg/knee focus in today's workout is making me cringe. My knees do not like Pistol Squats, even when they are feeling strong and limber. Can I substitute some regular Squats or Lunges? Or is that cheating so close to the finish line? Patrick?

5 comments:

  1. You should bring a film crew with you for the "German Gym Trial Membership", it could be become an instant internet viral classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how one of the cherries is eating a johannisbeere in the muesli still-life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for the "German Gym Trial Membership" documentary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine--or, at least, come away with an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah can sub in squats with a resistance band in your hands if you want.

    ReplyDelete