Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ups and Downs


After the excitement of new food guidelines-- read LOTS more-- I realized I had none of the right things in my fridge or house and no time to go out and find them in the small window between waking and biking off to work. I pieced together what I could from my carb, fruit, veg, protein, milk allotment and headed off.

I must have done something wrong, because by 2pm I was dragging. Really sleepy and totally low energy. Ate an apple, to minimal effect. I left work a few hours later and took a nap, neglecting the massive grocery run I so needed to do and the volunteer work for the school's big project.

By six I was putting on the workout gear and pushing myself through 150 jump sets. Having actually done it (without tripping!) I felt moderately better. After that the push-ups seemed easy. The pull ups completely didn't work with my makeshift broomstick on chairs set-up, but the office park near my house has perfect railings for just such a thing. Fortunately, without any after hours security guards questioning me in angry German.

After a massive dinner, I am back on track. Still reeling at the amount of food I now need to consume and the time it will take to eat it all. Wondering if this afternoon lull is part of the adjustment process... but hoping to circumvent those doldrums tomorrow. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. Eat eat eat! What's that stuff in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really tired today too, but I'm blaming my sleep habits for that. I'm feeling a little better now that I've worked out, though. And the biggest surprise of the day--even after all that food I'm HUNGRY for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go on the pushups and jumps

    Soon you will have the food you need and great colors and variety - I found a purple sweet potato.

    I felt like my body was totally changing gears in the first days...it was

    Great Day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Don't worry, the first couple weeks on the new diet are the hardest, just trying to figure out your schedule—the shopping, the cooking, the eating. Getting your eight hours (NOT an easy task) makes managing it all about a hundred times easier. When in doubt, get more sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's grilled chicken, grilled zucchini, avocado, and whole-wheat couscous with curry powder. The grilling was done on a seasoned cast iron grill pan with no extra oil.

    luv,
    the michalsky household chef.

    ReplyDelete