Friday, April 23, 2010

I Just Can't Eat it All!

I really tried.
At breakfast, I had to put back a slice of the ridiculously hearty bread that they have here in Deutschland. I just couldn't eat it.

At lunch, I had no space left for the supplemental protein called 'boiled egg' that I really intended to eat.

Even at dinner I just felt full when I reached this point.
I wish I could eat it all, but my body has some sort of automatic stomach shut-off valve. I think this is generally a good thing. I'm not sure if we need to continue to consume these mass quantities and why exactly we need to eat so damn much. I just know my little stomach is trying very hard to accommodate all these food grams... but it is struggling.

I used my pressure cooker to make a quinoa, lentil, garlic, purple carrot concoction that was still a little bland. I'm not sure when the 'rich taste of natural foods' part will kick in, because everything just tastes very plain to me right now. Except for tomatoes, which seem to be nature's wonder flavoring. I ate one for breakfast the other day like it was an apple. The same with a yellow pepper this morning. Delicious.

I'm not sure how to measure carbs, veg and protein when its all mixed together in a pot, so I approximated a bit and added some sauteed mushrooms and tomatoes and served it over a bed of spinach, which seems to be practically weightless and should really just start floating in the air in some sort of anti-gravity feat.

So despite not eating everything, I had a really good day: getting a better hang of the weighing and prepping bit, cooking a not-bad meal, and wrestling a colleague to the ground in front of my students and their parents. Weird, but rewarding.

Now off to try to eat my dairy & fruit dessert...

3 comments:

  1. Tell me about the spinach. I ate my way through a huge bunch of it in two days because it weighs next to nothing. It's better cooked though. Both heavier and smaller, so I can actually eat most of it. I'm also seasoning it with liberal ammounts of garlic, which is wonderful. Using cayenne to add some oomph to my chicken, but it only helps so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat eat eat!

    I had to wrestle a girl in a high school match once, it was very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steam a whole onion: sweet and delicious! Mix it up in a salad (spinach and lettuce).
    Chop-up and grill garlic in a non-stick frying pan, then throw a bunch of mushrooms in there, and dump it on top of a bunch of steamed carrots and eggplant and bell-peppers.

    ReplyDelete